From: Harry Holt <harryholt@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted.
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 18:11:25
1 On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Frank Peters wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 10:04:52 +0000 (UTC)
6 >> Duncan<1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
10 >>>
11 >>>
12 >>>> Stan Sander wrote:
13 >>>>
14 >>>>
15 >>>
16 >>>
17 >>>> In addition to using grub-static, you will need to have the IA32
18 >>>>> Emulation enabled in your kernel, else you won't be able to execute
19 >>>>> grub at all. It's under file formats / Emulations in the menu.
20 >>>>>
21 >>>>>
22 >>>> I think that's covered in the handbook, now, but posting's still good,
23 >>> just in case it would have been overlooked. FWIW when I first switched
25 >>> no-multilib, before I did the 32-bit chroot thing, I tried turning off
26 >>> that option in the kernel... and found I couldn't run... I think it was
27 >>> lilo I was running at the time, properly, so it's definitely worth
28 >>> remembering.
29 >>>
30 >>>
31 >>>
32 >> Lilo doesn't need the kernel at all. I have IA32 turned off and I use
33 >> lilo to boot. There is no problem.
34 >>
35 >> Unless there is some special requirement, most people probably use grub
36 >> because of the "follow the leader" syndrome. Lilo is still quite
37 >> effective
38 >> and also quite simple. Fortunately, the Gentoo overlords have not removed
39 >> lilo from the portage tree, but if they ever do, I will just compile it
40 >> myself. Continuous change is not a law of the universe. Some methods
41 >> never become obsolete (out of fashion perhaps, but fashion should never
42 >> be the final guide).
43 >>
44 >> Frank Peters
49 > No offense intended but I have used both lilo and grub. I used lilo first
50 > and for me, it was a nightmare. Fixing even a small typo was painful for
51 > me. I switched to grub and the difference was like flying the space shuttle
52 > or riding a tri-cycle. Let's remove the computers from the space shuttle
53 > just to make it as difficult.
54 >
55 > I may have to use lilo one day but grub will be long dead and will not
56 > compile on any rig I have.
57 >
58 > Dale
61 Good analogy. My issue with grub is that when it fails, I'm stuck in a tin
62 can in low earth orbit and likely to burn up in the atmosphere.
63
64 Recovering from a fall off my tri-cycle is not nearly as painful.