From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: baselayout-1.11.13 and sata problem
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 12:26:22
1 Paolo Ripamonti posted <40bdd4fd050720035660b8ad49@××××××××××.com>,
2 excerpted below, on Wed, 20 Jul 2005 12:56:29 +0200:
3
4 > just updated my amd64 box to baselayout 1.11.3 When I boot I get an error
5 > "missing /dev/sda1" while running /etc/init.d/checkfs.
6 > If I wait some 5 seconds and then hit Ctrl+D all works fine, more if I
7 > enter maintenance mode and checkout, well... /dev/sda1 is stading there!
8 > I've found a little workaround adding a sleep 5 just before ebegin
9 > "Checking filesystem" in /etc/init.d/checkfs Any idea about it?
10
11 This is due to a race condition with udev, I believe. What udev you
12 running?
13
14 Here, I'm still running PATA drives, so can't confirm SATA behavior. I'm
15 running ~amd64, however, so am up to baselayout-1.11.13 and udev-063.
16 udev's changelog mentions something about fixing this sort of bug, IIRC,
17 which is why I know it's a udev race condition of some sort, that should
18 (I believe) be fixed with the latest udev.
23 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
24 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
28 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list