From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] gcc 4.1 + CFLAGS
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 22:36:00
1 On Friday 09 June 2006 23:42, Vladimir G. Ivanovic wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 16:14 -0500, Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org
3 >
4 > wrote:
5 > > Enough research has gone into writing code for IEEE floating point
6 > > that I would not try to bypass it without a good reason. It’s there to
7 > > be your friend.
8 >
9 > Performance is the reason we have hardware FPUs and -ffast-math.
10
11 no, ffast-math is for the case, that you
12
13 a) don't need accurate results
14
15 b) the FPU is not fast enough
18 since you can't say if you need accurate math for an app you did not wrote or
19 examined, using ffast-math is highly dangerous. And sicne the hardware gets
20 faster on an almost monthly basis, it is even less convincing why anybody
21 should use it.
24 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list