From: scotthathcock@×××××××.net
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Upgrading to Raid
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 03:48:10
1 I currently have an ASUS K8V Deluxe system with an 80GB SATA drive. It
2 used to have a old 10GB PATA disk for M$ dual boot. That disk died and
3 was interfering with boot, so it's in the trash.
4
5 The dead disk reminded me of the pain I will suffer if I loose my linux
6 system. Even with backups of my home dir, which I'm not as good about as
7 I should be, a full fresh install would be a pain. Thus, I am
8 considering Raid.
9
10 Does anyone have experience with RAID on this Board?
11 Is the Via or Promise controller better for this?
12 Is there a good Howto on migrating from a non Raid disk to Raid? I
13 recall seeing one but can't find it now.
14 Am I wasting time and money? Should I just do a better job of backup? Is
15 there a resource on what to backup to allow a fast regeneration (or
16 duplication) of an existing gentoo system?
17
18 Finally, thanks for the great distribution. I use a commercial distro at
19 work and I am much happier with Gentoo. :)
20
21 Scott
22 --
23 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list