From: Jeremy Huddleston <eradicator@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] editor, shell, and gnome configuration (was: Successful)
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 21:29:10
1 >> I have successfully installed Gentoo linux. But I have a question.
2 >> When
3 >> installing stage 3 tarball the portage didn't give me the
4 >> provision to
5 >> select my editor, shell, etc. The warning for USE is confusing.
6 >> Also when
7 >> installing gnome it didn't give me any provision to select sub-
8 >> programs in
9 >> gnome.
10 >
11 > hm? what do you mean? You can install every editor you want - even
12 > vi(m), and
13 > use it. You can set EDITOR in /etc/rc.conf to any editor you want,
14 > so what
15 > is the problem?
16
17 You probably want to set the VISUAL environment variable to control
18 what editor is used by crontab, etc.
19
20 > About the shells.. well somebody else have to answer that, but
21 > AFAIR portage
22 > needs bash.. but you can use any other shell for yourself.
23
24 If you want to use a different shell, just emerge it, and run 'chsh'
25
26 As for gnome, if you just 'emerge gnome', you get the whole thing...
27 otherwise just emerge the program you want... the same goes for KDE.
28 If you don't want all of kde, but you do want konqueror, just do
29 'emerge konqueror'.
30
31 --Jeremy
34 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list