From: Jeremy Huddleston <eradicator@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] gcc-4.0.1 compiled glibc-2.3.5.20050722, SUCCESS! Was: broken (32bit) glibc ?
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 16:44:42
1 > I haven't looked at the gcc ebuilds to verify, but I'm guessing the
2 > pro-police stack-protector (and therefore the normal default no- flag that
3 > would turn it off if a hardened profile enabling it by default was in use)
4 > stuff isn't in the default gcc-3.4.x either, but rather a patch added by
5 > the ebuild. gcc4 hasn't gotten to the point yet where hardened is looking
6 > at it much, so the equivalent patches haven't been added there, yet, so
7 > gcc4 ebuilds don't recognize the stack-protector flags.
8
9 Yeah. I'm prolly not going to consider unmasking gcc4 for atleast 6
10 months, and even then it'd be within testing profiles only. I think
11 halcy0n is the only one *really* following gcc4 development closely
12 among those maintaining the gentoo toolchain. I've tried it out every
13 few months, but it's still too slow for your average applications
14 (huge/complex C++ applications get speed boosts), and it still pushes
15 out too much buggy code. This is expected, though, with a .0 release.
16 4.0.1 is better, but there's still many regressions.
17
18 > OTOH, I found yet another package that doesn't yet like gcc4, as well.
19 > util-linux emerges fine with gcc4, which is why I hadn't noticed it b4,
20 > but I tried running cfdisk, and it segfaulted every single time I tried to
21 > load my hard drive! Interestingly enough, it worked fine as a user (that
22 > is, it protested about device access permissions and quit, as one would
23 > expect trying to run it as a user), and even worked just fine when I
24 > mistakenly pointed it at my DVD burner with a burnt DVD+R loaded (well it
25 > said read-only mode, but I wouldn't have expected it to work on the DVD at
26 > all, and it did), but it'd segfault every time I tried to point it at my
27 > hard drive, as root so it could actually read it. I run 100% reiserfs
28 > formatted hard drive partitions, however, and I'm guessing its reiserfs
29 > code isn't gcc4 safe, just yet, tho as I said it emerged fine. Since it
30 > worked with ISO9660 (surprising me), I'm guessing it probably works with
31 > the more common ext2/3 as well. It certainly doesn't like reiserfs, tho,
32 > when compiled with gcc4! As expected, recompiling it with gcc-3.4.4
33 > worked just fine. (In fact, it was after that remerge that I forgot I had
34 > gcc-3.4.4 selected and did the entire glibc with gcc-3.4.4 instead of the
35 > gcc-4.0.1 I had intended!)
36
37 reiserfs is buggy when using a good compiler... I don't want to imagine
38 what happens with a beta compiler ;) Also, don't rule out glibc as the
39 culprit for util-linux failing. Recompile it with gcc3.4 with a gcc4
40 glibc to rule that out and make sure it's code generated by gcc4 IN
41 util-linux that's the problem.