From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: KDE and kdeprefix
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 20:11:22
1 On 06/12/2009 10:52 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Freitag 12 Juni 2009, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> On 06/12/2009 09:00 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
4 >>> [...]
5 >>> nothing with none exception. I had to set up dmix a long time ago, then
6 >>> it worked automagically.. but blocking apps? nope.
7 >> Without dmix everything blocks. After I've set it up, I was still
8 >> ending up with applications going silent while some other sound was
9 >> playing;
10 >
11 > except that you don't have to set up dmix for years. It works out of the box.
12
13 Well, I remember it differently. I had to configure it and it kept
14 breaking.
17 >> I once even got a system lock-up
18 >> caused by ATI's fglrx driver but OSS4 had the music still playing even
19 >> though the whole system had gone to nirvana.
20 >
21 > that is not unique to oss...
22
23 ALSA skipped sound a lot. I don't consider hearing music while the
24 system is gone a "feature", just an indication that it will never skip,
25 no matter how hard you try.
28 >> Another factor for me (but I guess most others aren't affected) is that
29 >> I like the OSS API much better. I wrote a minimal wav player in 10
30 >> minutes. Have you ever looked at the ALSA API? Don't :P It's a piece
31 >> of crap. There are literally thousands of functions, all doing the same
32 >> thing but still not quite right... Also, OSS is standard across
33 >> different Unix-like systems, while ALSA is Linux-only. All this (and
34 >> especially the easy to code for OSS API) results in OSS support in
35 >> applications to work quite better (Wine, for example).
36 >
37 > wine is a broken POS - so not really a good example.
38
39 My point was that since OSS is easier to support than ALSA, there are
40 less problems to be expected.
41
42 And, ALSA is not portable. It's tied to Linux. I like to support more
43 open systems.
46 >> So to sum it up, OSS looks like the better system to me. I never had
47 >> problems with it and therefore I always recommend it.
48 >
49 > and I had a lot of problems with it, felt ripped of and never recommend it.
50
51 I doubt it you ever used it.
54 > IMHO sound daemons are inherently broken. A stupid bandaid to fix a stupid
55 > problem.
56
57 On that one, we agree.