From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: opengl
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 15:56:42
Gavin Seddon posted <1137325416.10035.4.camel@linuxstation>, excerpted
below,  on Sun, 15 Jan 2006 11:43:36 +0000:

> I'm logging onto work and trying to start an application. It fails > telling me 'unable to start opengl window'. I have merged > 'x11-base/opengl-update' and my resolution is 1600x1200 using an sgi > monitor. My screen depth is 24. Can anyone help?
You are trying to run it remotely, logging into work from home (or wherever)? Normal 2-D X is a network transparent protocol -- it will work over the network just fine, as long as your network bandwidth and latency are low enough, and you have permissions set to allow it. 3-D, OpenGL and the like, however, use direct-rendering. They require that you be working on the same machine, due to the additional hardware requirements of 3-D. You can't forward OpenGL applications using X forwarding, as you can with 2-D apps. There is, however, a workaround. Rather than using X forwarding, use something like VNC. This isn't quite as efficient, but it works if the connection is fast enough. There are several VNC choices in the portage tree. I don't have a use for remote desktop services, so I couldn't tell you how they differ or which works best. -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list