From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Glibc Update Breaks Open/LibreOffice -- Can't Downgrade
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 02:02:38
Hello,

Today my system automatically updated glibc from 2.12-rc2 to 2.12-rc3.
Shortly afterwards I tried to start OpenOffice and it would not start.
The error message:

Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-deps.c: 622: _dl_map_object_deps: Assertion `nlist > 1' failed!

(The same problem is reported here: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6744468.html)

Apparently this is due to the glibc update.  A quick fix (since I need
OpenOffice) would be to simply downgrade back to glibc-2.12-r2, but
emerge will not allow me to do it:

 * Sanity check to keep you from breaking your system:
 *  Downgrading glibc is not supported and a sure way to destruction
 * ERROR: sys-libs/glibc-2.13-r2 failed (setup phase):
 *   aborting to save your system

I'm not going to break my system.  How do I override this?

Note:  I am not using the compiled Gentoo version of OpenOffice.
My installation is the binary version from the OO web site.
Also, LibreOffice, which I installed (from binary) as a possible
fix, gives the same error message.

Frank Peters