From: Brett Johnson <brett@××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] firewall
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 13:46:35
I would suggest looking into one of these tools depending on your preference of text versus gui tools: fwbuilder (http://www.fwbuilder.org/) is a nice QT based gui tool with a simple wizard to get you started and drag and drop rule building. They also have some good documentation on building effective firewalls. shorewall (http://www.shorewall.net/) is a commandline tool that uses a set of configuration files to configure the firewall. It first it appears a little overwhelming, but the documentation on the site is very good and walks through the most common types of setups used. In the long run, I believe shorewall is slightly easier to use and more flexible than fwbuilder. Shorewall does require editing several configuration files to properly configure the firewall, so it is more difficult to get the overall view of your firewall (for more complex firewall configurations) than fwbuilder provides. Brett -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list