From: Zac Medico <zmedico@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Is 2005 broken?
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 06:45:42
1 Tim Ames wrote:
2 > I'm running it looks like linux-2.6.7-gentoo-r14
3 > I haven't been able to get online for quite a while now. When I originally
4 > compiled I was on satellite and had a network connection that enabled me to
5 > download just about anything I wanted. I didn't have ppp compiled in the
6 > kernel and I kept trying to get wvdial emerged or ppp working in the
7 > machine to use a serial modem for dialup as that is all I can afford right
8 > now, and probably all I can get in the location I'm living in.
9 > The problems started trying to emerge wvdial, I downloaded manually off of
10 > one of the mirrors and put the files in
11 > /usr/portage/distfiles and then tried to emerge them on the machine
12 > I started getting md5 errors trying to emerge the files that I had
13 > downloaded and burned to a cd using windows xp.
14 > I kept trying, deleted the files, put the machine finally online using
15 > another machine on dialup and setting internet connection sharing and got
16 > the 64bit gentoo machine online that way. I tried doing and emerge sync
17 > several times and still kept coming up with
18 > this message.
19 > Digest verification Failed:
20 > /usr/portage/distfiles/any downloaded .tar.gz file here
21 > Reason: failed on MD5 verification
22 > I kept looking through the forums tried all the suggestions, ie ...
23 > changing mirrors, re downloading, rebuilding the digest
24 > then I downloaded the webrsync file and rewrote the whole portage tree. I
25 > still get the MD5 errors.
26 > When I go to emerge a file that is in /usr/portage/distfiles I get this error
27 > gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
28 > tar: Child returned status 1
29 > tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
30 > when I try to gunzip the file I get
31 > !!!ERROR: dev-libs/xplc-0.3.11 failed
32 > !!!Function unpack, Line 375, Exitcode 2
33 > !!!failure unpacking ... yada yada
34 > I'm at the point where I'm ready to wipe everything out and start over again.
35 > Can this be fixed??
36 > thanks in advance
37 > Tim
40 > I posted a message in here last week about digest verification failing
41 > and also in the forums and did not receive a reply. What is happening
42 > is that after updating portage when I tried to emerge files and they
43 > would download and you could see them get larger than the amount that
44 > was written in the first lookup of the file. The file would go past 100
45 > percent and then sometime later it would stop and it would come up with
46 > a digest verification error.
47 >
48 > So I managed to get the machine online with just a modem after a while
49 > and the same pattern happened. So I started out completely from scratch
50 > and I just compiled 2005.0. Everything worked out until I tried to
51 > emerge coldplug from a genkernel. I got the digest verification error
52 > again. I emerge sync ed again and now everthing I try to emerge gets
53 > the digest verification error.
54 >
55 > I guess I'm going to have to give up and go to another distro.
56 >
57 > I'm running an sk8v asus motherboard with an fx-51 chip.
58 >
59 > Does any of this ring a bell with anyone?
60 >
61 > tia
62 >
63 > Tim
67 Errors with both md5 and gzip? Can you use a separate computer to determine if the problem is with md5/gzip programs or corruption of the distfiles themselves?
68
69 Zac
70 --
71 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list