From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: Nvidia problem
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 19:24:27
1 Sami Samhuri posted <20050727175256.GC15702@××××××××××.com>, excerpted
2 below, on Wed, 27 Jul 2005 10:52:56 -0700:
3
4 >> However, I got it working with an ATI Radeon 9200 SE and the xorg native
5 >> drivers the other day. It's /nice/ in KDE. That was running the
6 >> xorg-x11-6.8.99.15 6.9/7.0 snapshot build, with unified framebuffer on a
7 >> dual 2048x1736 monitor layout.
8 >
9 > I thought I would do the same, except after switching to an amd64 machine
10 > any attempt to use my Radeon 9200 SE causes a hard lock up as soon as I
11 > type 'startx'. No ssh'ing in from another box, no ctl-alt-bs, the only way
12 > out is a hard reset. For now I'm using 2 GeForces, but I would rather
13 > switch to the ATI. Did yours just work 'out of the box'?
14
15 Pretty much, yes. I had been running an NVidia, then switched to an ATI
16 7500 (IIRC), then eventually to the 9200 SE. The switch from NVidia to
17 the 7500 was a bit rough, as I had to convert my XF86Config from the
18 format NVidia's proprietary drivers used for their options, to the
19 equivalent XFree standard format, with a few Radeon driver specific
20 options. However, everything was documented in the manpages, and since
21 then, the upgrades have been trivial, to card, monitors, and xfree/xorg,
22 all three.
27 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
28 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
32 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list