From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] If CD boots then why won't the hard drive?
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 16:05:44
1 Hi again,
2 Same new machine - new thread so as to not confuse the other thread
3 about flags.
4
5 I made enough headway with grub to get it to find a kernel and try
6 to boot, but fails with the message:
7
8 VFS: Cannot open root device "sda2" or unknown-block(2,0)
9 Please append a correct "root=" boot option; Here are the available partitions:
10 Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(2,0)
11
12 Note that is lists nothing when it says 'Here are the available partitions:'
13
14 My strategy for building this kernel - since the machine is very
15 new hardware - was to steal the .config file from the Install CD, so
16 while in the boot environment I did
17
18 zcat /proc/config.gz >/mnt/gentoo/config_CD
19
20 and then after the chroot did
21
22 emerge =gentoo-sources-2.6.29-r5
23 cd /usr/src
24 ln -s linux-2.6.29-gentoo-r5 linux
25 cd linux
26 mv /config_CD ./.config
27 make menuconfig
28
29 I checked that ext2 and ext3 were buit-in and not modules, built the
30 kernel and modules, installed the kernel in /boot, edited grub, exited
31 the install and tried booting. Clearly the kernel is found but then
32 the kernel cannot, I guess, find my hard drive /root partition?
33
34 I used that specific kernel because that's what my install CD used
35 and that kernel had no problems mounting the drive after it booted.
36
37 What am I doing wrong? Is it incorrect to use a .config file from a
38 CD and hope to get the same results? I do not use initrd which I think
39 is different than the CD so if I need to turn something off please let
40 me know.
41
42 Thanks,
43 Mark