From: Michael Mattes <gentoo@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Systemd migration: opinion and questions
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 14:31:07
1 Am 24.02.2015 22:51, schrieb Frank Peters:
4 > It requires about just as long (3 secs) on my desktop machine *without*
5 > systemd by just using my custom bash init script (no sysvinit or openrc
6 > either).
7 > Furthermore, I use no SSD.
8 >
9 > But there's also no login required so it's probably even faster -- and
10 > there's also no long list of permanently running daemons as well.
11 > (After a boot, ps ax shows a very sparse process list.)
12 >
13 > For me, systemd is totally unnecessary, excessively burdensome, and
14 > highly obfuscating to a complete control and understanding of my
15 > system.
16 >
17 > To each his own. If you want/need it, fine. But don't expect me,
18 > or everyone else, to slavishly follow.
19 >
20 > As has been more or less officially stated, systemd is an attempt to
21 > provide a uniform and monolithic kernel-user space interface FOR THE
22 > BENEFIT OF POTENTIAL (COMMERCIAL) SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS. RedHat wants
23 > Linux to be just like MS Windows so that *they* (RedHat) can be just
24 > like MS Windows.
25 >
26 > Let RedHat leave (fork) the Linux community and go their own separate
27 > way.
28 >
29 > Maybe it's time to begin shifting a lot more attention to
30 > Gentoo/FreeBSD.
31 >
32 > Frank Peters
33