From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] keymap broken
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 02:32:00
1 Mansour Al Akeel wrote:
2 > I got a newer laptop, and rather than installing gentoo, I just
3 > swapped the hard disks. Now when I boot into the new one,
4 > it works up to the level I am expecting (still need some drivers), but
5 > the keyboard act wierd. When I press "m" it types "0",
6 > and some other keys don't send anything at all.
7 > This issue starts when I start my xdm (configured to start slim). With
8 > the text run level (console), there's no issues until I start and stop
9 > xdm.
10 >
11 > I am not sure if I modified something long time ago in the config, to
12 > use different keymaps, but this issue didn't exist on the older
13 > laptop.
14 > What files could have such a configuration, that I need to look into ?
15 >
16 > Thank you.
20 That may be the laptop itself. My ex did this once. There is a way to
21 put the laptop in numlock mode for entering a lot of numbers. I think
22 it is ALT and something up across the top on the right hand side. I
23 don't think it is a function key but it may be. If yours is anything
24 like my ex's, it will have numlock somewhere on the key. Hers was a
25 different color to match the other key, ALT I think. Just do some color
26 matching on that.
27
28 Every manufacturer is different but maybe, just maybe this will get you
29 on track to at least finding a solution.
30
31 If this changes after you have booted, try removing the numlock service
32 from the default runlevel. That may cause the same thing I described
33 above. Most want that on a desktop but not on a laptop.
34
35 Hope this helps.
36
37 Dale