From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: eselect problems
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 14:35:27
1 On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 6:12 AM, Tonko Mulder <tonko.mulder@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Op maandag 24-11-2008 om 06:00 uur [tijdzone -0800], schreef Mark
3 > Knecht:
4 >> On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 10:26 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
5 >> > "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> posted
6 >> > 5bdc1c8b0811231435y2eea1b1by366c787c983c1089@××××××××××.com, excerpted
7 >> > below, on Sun, 23 Nov 2008 14:35:42 -0800:
8 >> >
9 >> >> The root cause of this is I wanted to emerge the newest version of
10 >> >> Ardour from the pro-audio overlay and ran into a new message about it
11 >> >> being masked by something called EAPI 2 which according to the message
12 >> >> requires a 'newer' version of portage. (No revision given.) That's all
13 >> >> this was about, and there's absoutely no rush to fix it as I'm not
14 >> >> likely to really use Ardour. Just wanted to take a look at what sort of
15 >> >> headway they are making with their feature set so it's really nothing
16 >> >> but pure curiosity.
17 >> >
18 >> > OK. FWIW, for EAPI-2, you need the new ~arch portage-2.2-rcX series.
19 >> > EAPI-2 is allowed in various overlays and now in ~arch, but not in stable
20 >> > until a stable portage supports it. It'll bring a number of new features
21 >> > including full set support, per-package use-defaults (previously a USE
22 >> > flag could be defaulted to on per profile, but not per package, off being
23 >> > the unset default, of course), and IIRC use dependencies (if a package
24 >> > requires say C++ support and gcc has been built without it, it must now
25 >> > die with an error message telling the user to make the change, with use-
26 >> > deps, it could force gcc to be recompiled with C++ instead of dying, thus
27 >> > avoiding somebody leaving a 200-package emerge going overnight, only to
28 >> > come back the next day to find out it stopped with package #2 due to a
29 >> > USE dependency death).
30 >> >
31 >> > So there are some nice things coming in EAPI-2 and a number of packages
32 >> > can really use them. But an EAPI-2 supporting portage, while now in the
33 >> > tree, remains unstable, as there are still a few bugs to work out before
34 >> > it goes fully stable. So if you prefer a stable portage, you'll have to
35 >> > wait for EAPI-2, and any packages requiring it (which by definition can't
36 >> > be stabilized until an EAPI-2 portage is stable too).
37 >> >
38 >> > --
39 >> > Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
40 >>
41 >> Thanks Duncan. I basically understand the portage stuff, in the sense
42 >> that it's a new feature. I read a few eamils form the portage
43 >> developers, etc., and got a sense of some of what it is supposed to
44 >> do. that part I'm OK with, as I am, I guess, with the idea that
45 >> someone who wrote the Ardour ebuild is requiring these new features.
46 >>
47 >> My real question is what is required to build that portage on an
48 >> ~amd64 machine so that I can build Ardour? Is anyone on this list
49 >> using portage-2.2.x? If so how did they get it to build?
50 >>
51 > I run sys-apps/portage-2.2_rc15
52 > But that just got installed with the updates. Not sure if there are
53 > special requirements or not.
54
55 Thanks Tonko.
56
57 Watch out for a portage downgrade if you haven't unmasked 2.2-rcX.
58 Reading on the 32-bit list there are others who are getting downgraded
59 due to developers wanting more testing on 2.1...
60
61 Cheers,
62 Mark