From: Mike Bonar <mike.bonar@××××.ca>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] First Impressions
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 18:45:21
1 On Wednesday 27 September 2006 12:35, Daniel Iliev wrote:
2 ...snip
3 > BTW, Everyone,
4 > I'm observing something very interesting:
5 > I was told not to go gentoo-amd64 for it was not stable. I was told not
6 > to migrate because there were still many important programs pending to
7 > be ported. I read almost everywhere about headaches and breakages.
8 > Reading your replies in this thread also suggests strictly following the
9 > official way otherwise - problems.
10 > It is very strange - I was ready to meet tons of major problems but I
11 > haven't met a single one yet. It is my opinion that the possibility of
12 > problems on gentoo-amd64 is highly overrated. I installed it with no
13 > problems, I obviously have tweaked it a lot beyond normal and what I see
14 > is a perfectly working system. It appears that gentoo-amd64 team along
15 > with the GNU, linux-kernel and all other nice guys who provide free/open
16 > source software have done a great work and we owe them BIG THANKS. I
17 > just wonder how come that so many people talk about some non-existing
18 > problems.
19 > How come that still in my first try I have bootstrapped from stage3,
20 > made "emerge -e system", installed xfce4, gnome, firefox, thunderbird,
21 > and a bunch of other packages along with all their dependencies, then
22 > made "emerge -e world" and after all this compiling I had to do "emerge
23 > --resume" only once when some package wanted mysql build with -fpic
24 > flag. I'm I lucky or what? ;-)
27 > --
28 > Best regards,
29 > Daniel
30 Somebody misinformed you. Gentoo-amd64 rulez, the rest drule! ;-) I run the
31 unstable (~amd64) branch, and even that is rock solid. Sure it breaks now
32 and then, but that's why they call it unstable. Your success with your first
33 build is a testament to the great community we have here. Welcome aboard!
34
35 glide
36 --
37 Mike Bonar