From: Branko Badrljica <brankob@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] eth3 - how to set up?
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 13:09:04
1 S, Paul Stear piše:
2 > Hi,
3 > I have just changed my motherboard and processor and am having trouble with my
4 > network connection.
5 > I am having to enter in a root terminal the following each time I boot the
6 > system:-
7 >
8 > ifconfig eth3 192.168.1.6 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
9 > After this everything works as it should.
10 > Where is this setting help?
11 > I have read the guide but nothing seems to make a difference.
12 > I'm sure this is a lack of understanding on my part so please help.
13 > Paul
14 I'm not sure I am teh one to be answering this, but since I had similar
15 problem many times and no one else seems to be answering, here it is.
16
17 Your problem is compounded. Forst part of the problem is that system
18 remembers seeing your former cards and has now reserved for each card
19 its ethX number.
20 Even if cards are not there any more ( and onboard NIC is different)
21 system keeps hoping that one day you might plug them back and keeps
22 those names reserved.
23
24 udev is userland helper that is responsible for crating logical devices
25 on the base of kernel messages it receives about present, plugged or
26 unpluugged devices.
27
28 How and which exactly devices it creates is described in its config
29 files in /etc/udev.d.
30
31 File that should inteset you is named XX-persistent-net.rules ( XX in
32 front are two decimals ).
33
34 udev writes and updates it itself with each new card it finds, so that
35 it knows that card with tg3 driver and MAC address XX:YY:ZZ:WW:TT.BB
36 should be created as device eth4, for example.
37
38 If you don't care how new cards are numbered or if you have only one
39 card, simply delete it and restart the system.
40
41 If you do care, edit it by hand- format is obvious.
42
43 Second part of the problem is that you card is not initialized, since it
44 is not named "eth0", as system expects.
45
46 If you did erase aforementioned file, after restart new card will be
47 shown as eth0, starttup scripts will find it and everything should fall
48 in its place again...