From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] genkernel [ was: boottime ]
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 00:41:38
1 On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 15:43:35 -0500
2 Mark Haney wrote:
3
4 > jevezze@××××××××××××.com wrote:
7 > > I allready took everything out of my kernel but is there a big
8 > > difference with modules or buildin's ? And X allready starts at
9 > > boot.
10 > >
11 > > And why shouldn't I use genkernel?
14 > I don't know about moving X, but this is a thread I thought about
15 > starting yesterday so this is very timely. I'll look at X to see how
16 > things are affected.
17 >
18 > As for genkernel, that's pretty much like any other distro kernel
19 > with lots of added modules and built in drivers that take up more
20 > resources and take longer to load. It may not be much on a system,
21 > but every second counts.
22
23 genkernel allows you to configure your kernel (with menuconfig, if I
24 recall). Given a .config file in /usr/src/linux, genkernel will just
25 use it. I've been using genkernel for 2 years with configured kernels
26 and it's been working fine for me.
27
28 David