From: Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] OT: Ignore this thread feature?
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 21:42:37
1 Conway S. Smith wrote:
2 > Daniel Iliev wrote:
3 > >> Bob Young wrote:
4 > >>> Joe Menola wrote:
5 > >>>> On Saturday 30 September 2006 15:21, Bob Young wrote:
6 > >>>>
7 > >>>>> I've never understood why people care about off topic threads.
8 > It's an
9 > >>>>> *email* list, thus it's reasonable to expect that most people
10 > are using
11 > >>>>> an email client or some derivative thereof to read the messages
12 > posted
13 > >>>>> to the list. With all modern email clients that I know of, it's
14 > >>>>> absolutely trivial to filter/delete/ignore messages in a specific
15 > >>>>> thread. Given that, it's not like anyone not interested in a
16 > particular
17 > >>>>> thread is being forced to read or even *manually* deal with unwanted
18 > >>>>> messages.
19 > >>>>>
20 > >>>> Some might stay tuned in the unlikely event that the original topic
21 > >>>> might be further discussed...
22 > >>>>
23 > >>>>
24 > >>> Uhhhh.....if you have some desire to discuss the "original topic" is
25 > >>> there something that prevents you from either replying to a message
26 > >>> without the OT warning in the subject line, or posting a new message
27 > >>> with a subject indicating what you want to talk about?
28 > >>>
29 > >> Well, I got tired of this thread also. The problem is that there isn't
30 > >> (or I can't find) an "ignore thread" feature in thunderbird, seamonkey
31 > >> or mozilla e-mail clients. I would appreciate if someone shows me
32 > how to
33 > >> do it.
34 > >>
35 > >> Thanks in advance!
36 > >>
37 >
38 > I don't think you can completely automatically ignore the thread, but in
39 > threaded view you could just right-click->Mark->Thread as Read whenever
40 > there were new messages. So it is still manual, but at least you can
41 > easily mark the entire thread.
42 >
43 > Actually, I suppose you could probably also write a message filter
44 > (Tools->Message Filter) rule that would be completely automatic, but
45 > speaking for myself I'd probably just right-click->Mark->Thread as Read
46 > whenever I wanted to ignore a thread.
50 > HTH,
51 > Conway S. Smith
52
53 I think there should be a way to mark threads as "watched" and/or
54 "ignored" and afterwards take advantage of the markings via "Ignored
55 Threads" in "View>>Threads" (which can really be found there).
56 AFAIK this works on news threads but is not implemented for e-mail in
57 thunderbird. That's why I emerged seamonkey, but there's nothing
58 different in this context.
62 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list