From: Mateusz Arkadiusz Mierzwinski <mateuszmierzwinski@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted.
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 02:02:57
2010/12/9 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>

> Frank Peters wrote: > >> On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:17:18 -0600 >> Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote: >> >> >> >>> What are some things that I should watch for and enable that isn't so >>> obvious for someone new to 64 bit? >>> >>> >>> >> The first thing to decide is whether or not you want a pure 64-bit >> system or a 64-bit system that keeps 32-bit capability. >> >> I am a purist. I left 32-bit programs in the dust a long time ago. >> But as a consequence there are some things that I will miss because >> they are available in 32-bit packages only. An example would be >> Acroread, the PDF viewer, from Adobe. Without Acroread, you will >> only view pdf files through the 64-bit xpdf. The Intel C++ >> compiler is another example. In fact, most commercial software >> that bothers to release a Linux version will do so in 32-bit >> format only. >> >> So if you need to make use of those offerings, you'll need >> to keep 32-bit compatibility. >> >> My own view is that these software developers are way behind >> the times and should have long ago made their products in >> a 64-bit form. It's not that difficult to do. >> >> Whatever the choice, pure 64-bit or 64/32, Gentoo makes it >> easy. >> >> Frank Peters >> >> >> >> > > Now I have a question. How do I tell Gentoo to make it pure 64 or a mix of > 32 and 64? I have read about this but I don't think I have actually seen > where it is set. Is it a profile selection, USE flag or something else? > > If I decide on one then want to switch to the other, does that require a > reinstall or just a change in settings and a recompile of world? > > Since I use KDE, I always use Okular to view pdf files. I assume KDE is 64 > bit ready. > > Thanks. > > Dale > > :-) :-) > >
You can set it in KERNEL by disabling 32 bit application support and recompiling GLIBC and GCC without MULTILIB ;). Try also running 32 bit app. System is not slower or anything else wrong happens. If You drop 32-bit support You cannot use WINE and load PE32 apps (aka Win32). -- Mateusz Mierzwiński Bluebox Software http://www.blueboxsoft.pl/mateusz-mierzwinski