From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Recommended Motherboards?
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 18:57:33
1 Hamish Marson <hamish@××××××××××××××.com> posted
2 44AA506E.70105@××××××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on Tue, 04 Jul 2006
3 12:26:38 +0100:
4
5 > The question is, what's a good motherboard nowadays for
6 > AMD64 x2 processors?
7
8 Tyan has probably the best Linux support you'll get from a mobo
9 manufacturer. They tend more towards server/workstation and high end
10 desktop, and are priced a bit higher than some, but many of their boards
11 are pre-certified with Red Hat, SuSE/Novel, and TurboLinux. I have a dual
12 Opteron board (the s2885), and have been very happy with it. (I plan
13 upgrading it to dual-cores later this year or early next, after AMD
14 changes socket and the socket 940s start dropping in price, I'm currently
15 running Opteron 242s, 8 gig memory, 4 x 300 gig SATA drives in kernel-raid
16 0/1/6, dual 21 inch monitors in 1600x1200 each on a Radeon 9250 AGP
17 (freedomware X drivers), etc.) Tyan even supplies an appropriate
18 lm_sensors.conf file for the board, and unlike some makers, uses plain zip
19 and pdf for its BIOS packages and documentation, not MSWormOS executables.
20
21 As I said, they tend toward the server/workstation side (Opterons), so
22 their selection of Athlon64/X2/socket-939 boards is a bit limited.
23 However, they do have one board that fits the bill, NVidia NForce
24 Pro2200/Ultra chipset, depending on whether you want SLI config or not!
25
26 The model name/number is Tyan Tomcat K8E, s2866. I just downloaded the
27 pdf of the manual, and it says it's RH and SuSE certified, so Linux
28 shouldn't be an issue. (Unless I'm mistaken, which I might be as I don't
29 know NVidia's chipsets too well, lmsensors doesn't support that chipset
30 yet, so no config file.) I should note it has only 3 PCI 2.2 slots, plus
31 the two PCI-E for the SLI, of course. Single channel (2 drive) IDE, 4
32 channel SATA.
33
34 http://tyan.com/products/html/tomcatk8esli.html
35
36 Price? As I said, not cheap. Pricewatch.com has them starting at $223
37 (SLI version).
44 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
47 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list