From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: initio seen, mt -f doesn't work
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 14:47:24
Gavin Seddon posted <1134048307.11094.4.camel@linuxstation>, excerpted
below,  on Thu, 08 Dec 2005 13:25:07 +0000:

> Hi, > I have a scsi tape with an initio controller. 'dmesg' sees initio 360p. > But when I use mt I get > ' mt -f /dev/st0 eject > /dev/st0: No such device or address' > Where will the tape be?
Well, /is/ there a /dev/st0? If so, that's a problem, but it would appear it's saying there is no such device, which indicates a problem with your device system. It could be anything from not having that device driver compiled, to not having it loaded if it's built as a kernel module, to having it loaded but it not finding the device so it doesn't create a node, to some funniness with udev, such that the device node isn't created, or is created in a different location. As I don't have such a device, it's a bit difficult to tell, from here, but one think you could do would be a "find /dev/ -name st0". That would at least tell you whether udev put the device in a subdir instead of the main /dev. -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list