From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] How do I choose a second window manager?
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 16:02:10
1 On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 8:50 AM, Paul
2 Hartman<paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 7:53 AM, Mark Knecht<markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>   A discussion on another list made me realize I'm a little tired of
5 >> Gnome. It does what I need, mostly, but it feels sort of old and dry.
6 >> I haven't run KDE in years but I'm hesitant to build it and keep it up
7 >> to date. I really think I'd like something more minimalistic. I ran
8 >> fluxbox years ago and liked that it was small and fast but at the time
9 >> getting to apps was a hand-crafted menu editing task that I'd rather
10 >> not repeat today.
11 >>
12 >>   QUESTION: Is there something small, fast but also easy to use in
13 >> terms of the environment automatically creating menus when apps are
14 >> added or removed with emerge?
15 >>
16 >>   From a pure-fun standpoint something 3D might be fun, but I don't
17 >> need it and expect that my old ATI Radeon X300 card probably isn't up
18 >> to the task anyway.
19 >>
20 >>   How do others choose a window manager and what do you value in your
21 >> window manager that makes you stick with it?
22 >
23 > I use KDE4 and keep XFCE as a backup. I use KDM as login manager and
24 > it easily lets me choose which one I want. I use only XFCE on my
25 > laptop because compiling gnome or KDE is just too much work for it. I
26 > could easily use XFCE (or Gnome) as primary desktop environment and be
27 > happy, but I'm just used to KDE.
31 Hi Paul,
32 I do a lot of audio work using apps and a kernel (rt-sources) from
33 the pro-audio overlay. Jack, Ardour, etc. Really low latency and NO
34 long window manager
35 delays are more important for me that they probably are for others. I
36 ran KDE years ago and it just didn't work very well, but in those days
37 even Gnome wasn't very good so I used fluxbox which was great. Well,
38 today Gnome is fine, and maybe KDE would be also. Historically it just
39 wasn't a good fit more me in the past.
40
41 I guess the other thing that I'm interested in is getting beyond
42 this "flat/old Gnome is sort of like Windows" sensation that I am
43 feeling right now so to warrant the effort to actually use something I
44 suppose I am really looking for something with a really different feel
45 but it still really works in terms of getting jobs done. Something
46 that makes me feel good about even firing up the desktop.
47
48 Cheers,
49 Mark