From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: xorg-server upgrade
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 14:40:55
1 "Mark Haney" <mhaney@××××××××××××.org> posted
2 49B4FF7E.8080706@××××××××××××.org, excerpted below, on Mon, 09 Mar 2009
3 07:37:34 -0400:
4
5 > Well it /wasn't/ when I sent that message. But, a look at Xorg.0.log
6 > showed me that the ati driver (6.11.0) had an ABI mismatch with the
7 > server version. A recompile of that driver and I'm up now.
8 >
9 > Except for the ginormous font size I have now I'm back to work.
10 >
11 > Any idea on how to fix my fonts now? I had this problem with this
12 > driver once before and couldn't find an answer.
13
14 The answer is to tell xorg what the actual screen size is. It then uses
15 that information to calculate an appropriate DPI. Once it knows that, it
16 should continue to use it. When it doesn't know it from the config, it
17 tries first to get the information from the EDID info, then falls back to
18 a default which apparently varies from version to version.
19
20 I used to have issues with this at virtually every xorg upgrade until I
21 set my screen size appropriately. Since then, I've had issues much less
22 frequently, altho of course I have to change my manual settings every
23 time I change the monitors I'm using. But once I do, everything has gone
24 back to normal.
25
26 The exception to this is that with the switch to RandR based settings,
27 the place to set this info (along with a bunch of other stuff) and how it
28 was set in xorg.conf changed. But I read the documentation and changed
29 that (and a bunch of other stuff) to work with the new methods, and all
30 is now again fine.
31
32 The one bug I know that may still cause a problem is that at least on
33 some older ATI/Radeon cards (the Radeon 9200SE I use being a case in
34 point), the size setting, which is supposed to be per monitor, applies to
35 the whole virtual size, which may be one monitor or more. In my
36 configuration here I have two identical LCDs stacked, so I just had to
37 figure out which config it was reading the size from and double the
38 vertical size on it. Otherwise the horizontal was correct but the
39 vertical was wrong so all the fonts were distorted to tall and thin,
40 twice as tall as they should have been for their width.
41
42 This can be set in several places. In xorg.conf as I mentioned, you can
43 set size. I believe tho I've not looked at it recently, that you can
44 also set it by command line using xrandr or xset or the like. And, the
45 major desktop environments should provide a place to set it. I only use
46 KDE and haven't yet found 4.2 to be workable for anything but occasional
47 use, so KDE 3.5 is the one I know about, but GNOME and KDE 4.x should
48 have settings for it too.
49
50 In KDE 3.5, at the bottom of the Fonts control center applet there's
51 choices for anti-aliasing and DPI. You can choose to force DPI or not,
52 and when forced, 96 DPI or 120 DPI. By calculation, my DPI is ~93, so I
53 set 96 and let it be. However, what you set can be rather arbitrary, it
54 doesn't have to relate to reality except that it'll allow more accurate
55 matching to print size and more accurate on-screen rulers, if you use
56 applications that have those and calculate based on DPI or resolution and
57 screen size. Also, having xorg and the various desktops using the same
58 settings will prevent major font size differences between apps depending
59 on which setting they use.
60
61 The biggest change in xorg.conf switching to RandR based settings was in
62 the Monitor sections. Previously, most of the resolution dependent
63 config was actually done in the Screen sections, but with RandR,
64 different monitors could be plugged in dynamically and xorg is supposed
65 to just adapt, and because the same screen sections could be used by
66 vastly different monitors depending on what was plugged in, much of the
67 actually monitor dependent information had to be moved to the Monitor
68 sections. Thus, Monitor sections got DRAMATICALLY more complicated and
69 powerful, at the expense of Screen and even sometimes graphics Device
70 sections.
71
72 The physical size setting is no exception. As I said, it's supposed to
73 be hot-plug detected now, but there's at least one bug that I have here
74 and likely more. It sounds like you may have hit one such bug. Anyway,
75 here's the option line you need:
76
77 In the appropriate Section "Monitor"
78
79 DisplaySize Xmm Ymm
80
81 where Xmm and Ymm are the horizontal and vertical "viewable area" display
82 size, in millimeters. The values are floating point decimal, so here's
83 what mine looks like (complete with comment to ensure I remember the
84 vertical value is doubled due to the bug referenced above)
85
86 DisplaySize 518.4 648 # both monitors
87
88 You can read the documentation on the setting as well as a host of others
89 in the xorg.conf (5) manpage. It's not directly pertinent here, but
90 since you are using the xorg radeon driver (xf86-video-ati), there's
91 useful information in the radeon (4) manpage as well. The two of them
92 together provide a reasonably detailed description of most settings a
93 Radeon driver using xorg user would find useful for his xorg.conf file,
94 minus some details on the video and inputdev sections, unfortunately.
99 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman