From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted.
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 16:07:03
On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 10:04:52 +0000 (UTC)
Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:

> > > Stan Sander wrote: > > >> In addition to using grub-static, you will need to have the IA32 > >> Emulation enabled in your kernel, else you won't be able to execute > >> grub at all. It's under file formats / Emulations in the menu. > > I think that's covered in the handbook, now, but posting's still good, > just in case it would have been overlooked. FWIW when I first switched to > no-multilib, before I did the 32-bit chroot thing, I tried turning off > that option in the kernel... and found I couldn't run... I think it was > lilo I was running at the time, properly, so it's definitely worth > remembering. >
Lilo doesn't need the kernel at all. I have IA32 turned off and I use lilo to boot. There is no problem. Unless there is some special requirement, most people probably use grub because of the "follow the leader" syndrome. Lilo is still quite effective and also quite simple. Fortunately, the Gentoo overlords have not removed lilo from the portage tree, but if they ever do, I will just compile it myself. Continuous change is not a law of the universe. Some methods never become obsolete (out of fashion perhaps, but fashion should never be the final guide). Frank Peters