From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Can't Emerge Thunderbird-5.0/6.0
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 15:28:43
1 On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 06:39:45 +0000 (UTC)
2 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
3
4 > pan actually has more people working on it now than it has in a
5 > very long time, at least since I've been around, perhaps ever! =:^)
8 Pan is another wonder of the open source world. There is literally
9 nothing else in its class. It's good to know that development is
10 alive.
11
12 Pan cannot upload binary files and that is another reason I have
13 to keep thunderbird in reserve.
16 > I'm not much into
17 > torrenting and when I do torrent, ktorrent has been my client of choice,
20 For torrents, IMO, one cannot beat aria2: http://aria2.sf.net
21
22 It is a command line program. Just open a terminal, enter a few
23 quick commands, and let it do its work. It provides complete
24 status information continuously, and, within its domain, is on
25 par with any graphical program.
26
27 It's not that I have some extreme irrational bias against graphical
28 software, but, in the right hands, console based programs can still
29 perform wonderful things in terms of basic output. Ncurses and s-lang
30 are very capable development tools. But for some reason these things
31 are not appreciated by the average user who, if given a choice, will
32 usually gravitate to a graphical solution.
33
34 Frank Peters