From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: NVIDIA 100.14.19 + xorg-server 1.4.0.90 + xorg-x11 7.3 = blackscreen after every restart
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 00:20:54
1 * Hemmann, Volker Armin <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2
3 > > For this year I've already wasted too much resources on that.
4 > > Maybe I'll have a try in a few month. 3D stuff isnt't that
5 > > important for me - for 2D stuff the free driver works very fine.
8 > yeah, just copying an ebuild and replacing nv with nvidia in xorg.conf costs
9 > so much time and is so hard to do. Whining on the other hand does not take
10 > any time at all.
11
12 It's more than that. Rebuilding the kernel, loosing fb and ovz, etc.
13 I prefer spending that amount of time on disassambling the binary
14 module ... ;-o
15
16 > > BTW: the ebuild conflicts between kernel and nvidia-drivers are
17 > > also annoying. The kernel parts should be handled differently.
18 >
19 > what are you talking about? conflicts? kernel parts? which kernel parts
20 > handled by what and why?
21
22 The problem comes from NV's (broken) package. Their "sanity"
23 checks seem to go against the *running* kernel, instead the one
24 to build for. So, in my case, it denies compiling, as the
25 currently running kernel has rivafb (but the target kernel won't).
28 cu
29 --
31 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
33 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
34 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
35 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
36 http://patches.metux.de/
38 --
39 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list