From: Bertrand Jacquin <beber.gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] 64-bit or 32-bit?
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 15:18:56
1 On 3/27/06, Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org
2 <Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > Jim <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org> skribis:
4 > > What do you do for a browser? Do you have to chroot every time you want
5 > > to run your browser? Or do you run a 64-bit browser? The only real
6 > > thing that I am missing is the ability to see a video in Firefox such as
7 > > the movie trailers at Apple, etc.
8 >
9 > I keep browsers in both environments. Normally I run Opera (which is
10 > 32-bit) in the 64-bit environment. For some videos actually you might
11 > have some luck with konqueror and/or mozilla-firefox-bin, without need
12 > for the 32-bit environment, but to me it's not a lot of trouble
13 > running things in the 32-bit environment if I have to, given how easy
14 > it to keep Gentoo up to date. The hard work is configuring the chroot
15 > as I like it and making it come up and go down automatically, which
16 > was a little bit of a programming task.
17 >
18 > There is one use for which I have found a chroot quite useful, which
19 > is building non-portage programs 32-bit. Then I can run them just fine
20 > in 64-bit, by making links in /usr/local/lib32 to any libraries needed
21 > that aren't already in the emul packages. (Plus I have to run
22 > ldconfig.)
23
24 How could you compile mplayer or firefox in your 64 bits environnement
25 to generate 32 bits binary ? I have multilib activated and I can't
26 build mplayer with CFLAGS="-m32".
27
28 It is needing something else ?
29
30 I don't want too to have and maintain a 32 bit chroot.
34 > --
35 > Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org http://www.chemoelectric.org
36 > Esperantistoj rajtas skribi al Bojo ĉe chemoelectric.org.
37 > 'Democracies don't war; democracies are peaceful countries.' - Bush
38 > (http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/12/20051219-2.html)
44 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list