From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: revdep-rebuild, Firefox, Thunderbird, GCC
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 07:03:28
1 "John P. Burkett" <burkett@×××.edu> posted 4A2DB2A9.80800@×××.edu,
2 excerpted below, on Mon, 08 Jun 2009 20:54:01 -0400:
3
4 > Thank you, Duncan, for the explanation and suggestion.
5 >
6 > Doing "fix_libtool_files.sh 4.2.0" or "fix_libtool_files.sh 4.2"
7 > elicited the following response:
8 >
9 > * Scanning libtool files for hardcoded gcc library paths... gcc-config:
10 > error: could not run/locate 'gcc' :0: assertion failed: (gcc
11 > -dumpversion) | getline NEWVER)
12
13 Eew, OK, you're problem's a bit deeper than that. FWIW,
14 fix_libtool_files.sh is normally required for compiling stuff. I guess I
15 didn't read so well and thus failed to notice the obvious, that you are
16 having trouble /running/ stuff too. That's a bit different and obviously
17 a more serious issue, tho hopefully as easily fixed.
18
19 Try gcc-config, then. What I'm guessing happened is that you unmerged
20 the old gcc without gcc-config-ing to the new version, so now all the
21 pointers are pointed at nothing.
22
23 gcc-config -l (--list-profiles) will give you a list of the versions it
24 thinks it has installed. You can then (as root) tell it to switch to one
25 of them using its number. For instance, here's what I have here:
26
27 gcc-config -l
28 [1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.3.3
29 [2] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.0 *
30
31 The *-ed one, 4.4.0, is active. As root, I could switch to 4.3.3 using
32 it's position, as:
33
34 gcc-config 1
35
36 or I could switch using the profile name (here switching back to 4.4):
37
38 gcc-config x86_64-pc-linux-gnue-4.4.0
41 Since it's apparently screwed up ATM, you may have to do it using the -f
42 (--force) option, which regenerates all the files even if it thinks they
43 are fine.
44
45 If that doesn't do it, you may need someone who really understands what's
46 going on to help, probably one of the gentoo/amd64 devs or ATs (arch-
47 testers). But hopefully that does it.
48
49 > To check what newer version is installed, I did "emerge --search gcc".
50 > The response included the following lines:
51
52 FWIW, --search just shows you the latest installed. For slotted packages
53 such as gcc, you may have more installed. If you have gentoolkit
54 installed, you can use equery to get the full list, using equery list
55 <pkgspec>, which lists the packages matching the parameter, as so:
56
57 equery list gcc
58 * Searching for gcc ...
59 * installed packages:
60 [I--] [ ~] sys-devel/gcc-4.3.3-r2 (4.3)
61 [I--] [ ~] sys-devel/gcc-4.4.0 (4.4)
64 FWIW, equery has other modes of operation as well. equery belongs <file>
65 tells you which package, if any, "owns" a particular file or directory.
66 (Note that with directories, a package "owns" it if it has files in it or
67 a subdir. Thus, a LOT of packages "own" /usr/, because they all have
68 files in various /usr/ subdirs.)
69
70 equery files <pkgspec> lists the files belonging to a particular
71 package. equery depends <pkgspec> lists all the packages that depend on
72 the particular package in question (with USE conditional dependencies
73 listing the USE flag creating the dependency). equery depgraph <pkgspec>
74 lists the packages a particular package depends on -- multiple layers
75 deep, so sometimes the --depth=n parameter for it comes in handy to limit
76 the output. There's also equery hasuse and equery uses, as well.
77
78 For equery list, the default (-i --installed) lists installed packages,
79 but there's also -p (--portage-tree) and -o (--overlay-tree) that can be
80 searched, if you provide the appropriate switch. Also, most of equery's
81 actions have a regex option, if you need a bit more flexibility
82 specifying the file/pkgspec. See the manpage (when you can) or --help
83 output, for more.
84
85 > Doing "emerge --empty-tree world" evoked the following response: emerge:
86 > error: no such option: --empty-tree
87
88 My fault. I typed without double-checking. It's --emptytree without the
89 hyphen between empty and tree. Sorry. But as Nikos mentions, -e is the
90 short form.
91
92 > Trying to check the available options, I did "man emerge" but just got
93 > groff: /lib/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_4.2.0' not found (required by
94 > /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.3.2/libstdc++.so.6)
95
96 ... As I said, more serious than I originally thought. Hopefully gcc-
97 config can straighten it out.
98
99 FWIW, most commands support --help, which is shorter than the manpage,
100 normally limited to a single console terminal page if at all possible,
101 but that can often be enough. It wouldn't have helped here, however, as
102 that parameter's not used enough to put it in the short-form --help
103 output.
104
105 > It looks as if the problem affecting Firefox and Thunderbird also
106 > affects man.
107
108 It's not going to be of much help at the moment, but FWIW, upgrades do
109 tend to go much smoother if you don't stay away from them so long.
110 Personally, I try to do them twice a week so there's never too huge a
111 list, and even when a kde upgrade comes out, while it might be a bunch of
112 packages, it's almost all /just/ kde, not gcc and baselayout and portage
113 and a whole bunch of other stuff all at once! However, that's admittedly
114 a bit obsessive/compulsive. Still, I'd recommend trying to upgrade every
115 month to avoid getting too far out of date, and certainly not going
116 longer than three months, as at that point, you're just making it much
117 much harder to upgrade when you do, because you're so far out. Gentoo
118 /does/ try to keep a workable upgrade out to at least a year, but
119 honestly, longer than three months, and there's few enough people doing
120 it that infrequently that it's not well tested, and you WILL thus run
121 into more problems than you will staying closer to the Gentoo
122 mainstream. Gentoo simply isn't the best choice for people that want to
123 upgrade once a year or less, and then forget about it. There are other
124 distributions that work better for that sort of installation. OTOH,
125 Gentoo is one of the best choices for "obsessive compulsive" types like
126 myself, that like its rolling update style, updating far more frequently
127 (best is once a month or more often, as I said) than the ordinary binary
128 distribution does.
129
130 I do hope gcc-config does it for you. Otherwise, I'm getting a bit
131 worried, as if man is broken, it's reaching pretty far into your system.
132 Please post updates as you have them, because I /am/ a bit worried, now.
137 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman