From: Jack Lloyd <lloyd@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] CFLAGS for Core2?
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 19:42:30
1 On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 10:52:42PM -0500, Eric Augustus wrote:
2
3 > CFLAGS="-march=nocona -O2 -pipe"
4 > CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
5 > CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
6 > MAKEOPTS="-j3"
7 >
8 > Simple, and nothing fancy.
9
10 So far I've been using same as above, with the addition of
11 -momit-leaf-frame-pointer (which likely doesn't matter nearly as much
12 on amd64 than x86 due to less register pressure, but can't cause too
13 much damage (I generally only use gdb for backtraces, most of my
14 system debugging is done with strace/ltrace, so not getting precise
15 debugging doesn't bother me much)).
16
17 I may play with -mtune to see what kind of performance change I see
18 with mencoder, openssl, etc with different instruction schedulings.
19
20 > I'm happy to say that my 2006.1 amd64 install seems to be working great.
21 > I'm running unstable, btw, which I've been doing on my old athlon64 for
22 > a couple years now.
23
24 Mine has also been solid, though it's been <24 hours so far. No
25 lockups or scary log messages under fairly heavy CPU and disk load.
26
27 > P.S. It's amazing how fast a kernel builds and emerges happen on the new
28 > Core 2.
29
30 Especially when you are used to using 1.3 GHz Athlon Thunderbird! :)
31
32 -Jack
33 --
34 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list