From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-user@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Problem emerging x11-drm
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 16:47:32
1 Rafael Barrera Oro <rafael@××××××××××××××××.ar> posted
2 44C8D982.6030308@××××××××××××××××.ar, excerpted below, on Thu, 27 Jul
3 2006 12:19:30 -0300:
4
5 > !!! ERROR: x11-base/x11-drm-20060608 failed.
6
7 > !!! /usr/src/linux symlink not setup!
8
9 > my /usr/src/linux symlink is just fine, i checked it myself and point to
10 > the right kernel source, so im stuck. I also cant emerge ati-drivers
11 > since it conflicts with xorg-x11.
12 > I have an Ati Radeon 9200
13
14 For Radeons thru the 9250, you probably don't want ati-drivers, but the
15 native xorg drivers, which have full support incl. 3D thru the 9250s. I
16 know for a fact the xorg native drivers work, on the 9200s as that's what
17 I'm using here. Among other things, using the native drivers you'll no
18 longer have to wait on ATI to update its proprietaryware drivers every
19 time the xorg abi changes, since the xorg drivers are naturally synced for
20 every release.
21
22 As for the drm issue, I just use the in-kernel versions, so don't have
23 the out-of-kernel x11-drm merged at all. That solves that problem.
24 However, one thing you need to be sure of if you do choose to use the
25 separate x11-drm, is not only that the /usr/src/linux symlink is correct,
26 but that you've actually built that kernel. If you haven't, some of the
27 necessary config files that the out-of-kernel modules use simply won't be
28 there. I suspect that's what the problem is in your case.
33 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
36 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list