From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Drivers For USB HDD
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 03:03:21
1 On Mon, 7 May 2012 09:34:58 -0400
2 Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> wrote:
5 > The Seagate drive has already been returned to the seller.
6 > I am expecting a Western Digital Elements 2TB USB HDD to
7 > arrive in a few days. If this new drive also fails then I
8 > will post more information.
11 I just want to follow up on my previous posts for the sake of
12 anyone who may be interested.
13
14 The Western Digital Elements 2TB USB HDD arrived and it
15 works with Linux right out of the box. The extra modules
16 needed are sg and usb-storage, assuming that all the usb
17 core stuff is built into the kernel.
18
19 The drive is pre-formatted with a ntfs filesystem, but using
20 cfdisk I re-partitioned the drive and formatted the new partitions
21 with ext3. Everything works nicely.
22
23 This WD drive is USB 2.0, whereas the non-functional Seagate was
24 USB 3.0. Whether or not this can explain the problem I cannot
25 say.
26
27 Thanks again to all who responded.
28