From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Memory usage; 32 bit vs 64 bit.
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 19:02:57
Hi folks,

I recently built me a new 64 bit system.  My old 32 bit system has 2Gbs
and my new system has 4Gbs.  I was expecting it to use about the same
amount of memory but noticed it uses a good bit more on the new system
than the old one.   With just the normal stuff open, I use about 1.5Gbs
of ram.  My old system would use a little over half that.   I have the
same settings on both.

Is this difference because 64 bit programs use more memory, maybe they
are larger than 32 bit programs?  Just curious.  I notice that Seamonkey
uses more and KDE's plasma-desktop uses more.  Those are generally the
biggest users.

I'm not complaining about the usage, just curious as to why the difference.

Dale

:-)  :-)