From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Memory usage; 32 bit vs 64 bit.
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 19:02:57
1 Hi folks,
2
3 I recently built me a new 64 bit system. My old 32 bit system has 2Gbs
4 and my new system has 4Gbs. I was expecting it to use about the same
5 amount of memory but noticed it uses a good bit more on the new system
6 than the old one. With just the normal stuff open, I use about 1.5Gbs
7 of ram. My old system would use a little over half that. I have the
8 same settings on both.
9
10 Is this difference because 64 bit programs use more memory, maybe they
11 are larger than 32 bit programs? Just curious. I notice that Seamonkey
12 uses more and KDE's plasma-desktop uses more. Those are generally the
13 biggest users.
14
15 I'm not complaining about the usage, just curious as to why the difference.
16
17 Dale
18