From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] World packages
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 00:07:46
1 On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 5:49 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> Thanks guys. I understand how portage works and what to do to clean
5 >> things up. That part isn't an issue this time around.
6 >>
7 >> I'm more trying to understand whether this is just left over from old
8 >> installs and hasn't gotten cleaned up along the way. I had about 6
9 >> emul-linux packages. The all were dependencies of the two that are
10 >> left so I simply removed them from the world file knowing they'd stay
11 >> in and didn't need to be listed. Clearly I can remove these last two
12 >> from world and they'll all go away but before I did that I just wanted
13 >> to make sure there wasn't anything magic about them. For instance,
14 >> maybe the emul-java file is some subset of running java in
15 >> firefox-bin? If it was would it show up as a dependency? I don't know.
16 >>
17 >> None of this is a big deal. I was just poking around and decided to do
18 >> an early spring cleaning.
19 >>
20 >> Cheers,
21 >> Mark
22 >
23 > My understanding is that nothing goes into world unless you explicitly
24 > put it there (either by directly editing the file or by emerging that
25 > package directly). So you shouldn't need to worry about dependencies
26 > or anything. If that package is needed by something else you've got
27 > installed, it'll stay regardless of whether it is in world or not.
28 >
29 > Paul
30
31 Right, absolutely right. But one weakness in this regard would be with
32 revdep-rebuild. Maybe it finds a bunch of things that got broken and
33 gives you a list you can run to clean things up. If for some reason
34 they are not run --one-shot (like maybe I make a mistake, copy a few
35 but not all of the list and forget the -1 that it puts in) then I end
36 up with something in my world file that didn't fundamentally need to
37 be there.
38
39 It's not that the tools are wrong. They are probably fine. But after a
40 few years of updating packages stuff gets overlooked or gets in when
41 you aren't wide awake...
42
43 I feel like in the old days we had to have some emul-linux packages in
44 so as to get win32codecs and the like to work. Is that not still true?
45 I'll go read whatever the current install docs suggest and see what I
46 might learn. I built this machine 4-5 years ago so it's been awhile.
47
48 Cheers,
49 Mark
50