From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Converting movie files to DVD format
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 15:41:36
Mark Haney posted <43C65F25.8000906@××××××××××××.org>, excerpted below,
on Thu, 12 Jan 2006 08:52:37 -0500:

> I googled this and found a nice HOWTO on the Gentoo Wiki, but it's a > couple years old. Are there any new tools to automate converting movie > files (.avi, etc) to DVD format, even DVD ISO format?
You didn't post the link and I'm too lazy to do the search myself to check if it's listed or not, but definitely checkout k3b if you haven't. It can do a lot of conversions on-the-fly. If it can't do them on-the-fly to actually burn, because the CPU simply isn't powerful enough for the conversion to keep up with the burn, it can create the ISO in tmpspace and then burn it when it's done, if desired, pretty much automatically. Yes, it DOES handle DVDs, now (it may not have a couple years ago as that's about the time Mandrake contributed the patches, IIRC). I haven't actually used k3b for video conversion, but I've used it for on-the-fly MP3 to CDA conversion, to burn CDs playable in a regular CD player, and it worked well. I know it's supposed to handle video as well, just haven't tried it. The biggest downside is if you don't have KDE merged, it'll require kdelibs and perhaps part of kdebase, in addition to all the transcode stuff you'll probably want to enable via USE flags. However, it's generally considered /the/ way to go for that sort of thing, even if you have to merge some KDE stuff just for it. There's simply nothing else that does what it does, in such a simple and intuitive way. -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list