From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] First Impressions
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 02:43:44
1 On Wednesday 27 September 2006 19:56, Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com>
2 wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-amd64] First Impressions':
3 > Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
4 > > On Wednesday 27 September 2006 11:11, "Hemmann, Volker Armin"
5 > > <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-amd64]
6 > >
7 > > First Impressions':
8 > >> -O3 don't do it. O2 is much, much safer and not really slower. It
9 > >> will prevent a lot of breakage.
10 > > -O3 breaking just doesn't happen anymore.
11 > > Also, some applications break with just -O2.
12 > > Now, it is an open question whether -O3 is significantly faster than
13 > > -O2. My
14 > > recommendation is -O3. :)
15 > I've always used "-O3".
16 > I think I've read somewhere in *.gentoo.org that It should be reported
17 > if a "testing" version works fine so it could get in the stable tree
18 > faster.
19
20 Please only file a stabilization bug if (a) there are no open bug reports
21 on the version you want stabilized (b) all dependencies of the that
22 version can be satisfied with stable packages on the ARCH you want
23 stabilized AND (c) at least 30 days have passed since the ebuild for that
24 version has been modified.
25
26 There has to be some time between an ebuild being available and it becoming
27 stable to test on setups that aren't exactly like yours. I know (some)
28 people want things declared stable ASAP, but declaring a package stable
29 doesn't make it so and there are (many, many) people that want stable
30 Gentoo to actually be stable. E.g. they do real work on the system. :P
31
32 > Should this "replace-flags" stuff be reported when the package
33 > compiles successfully with "-O3"?
34
35 I fear you may find such bugs closed as WONTFIX/INVALID fairly quickly,
36 especially if you started reporting en masse. That said, if you have a
37 compelling reason to use -O3 instead of what it is replaced with (not
38 just "it works for me") for a specific package, I'd say file the bug, but
39 be sure to include the reason(s) the replacement doesn't work for you.
42 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
43 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
44 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
45 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh