From: Dmitri Pogosyan <pogosyan@×××××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: modules
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 01:37:54
1 > >> This is why I miss RedHat. I don't want to spend my time customizing
2 > >> a kernel then spending more time with trial and error getting just the
3 > >> kernel I need. RedHat has a system in place that installs a minimal
4 > >> kernal and then loads almost everything else as modules. Genkernel almost
5 > >> does what I want but it is always a struggle. The base system always
6 > >> loads all the different disk drivers and does not unload the unused ones.
7 > >
8 > > Absence of autounloading is not a property of gentoo, but of recent kernels.
9 > > Somewhere along Linux people decided that unloading unused modules is not
10 > > that useful :(
11 > >
12 > > Am I right, actually ?
13 >
14 > I really don't see the point of going to that much trouble to save a few
15 > Kbs of RAM
16
17 General custom to be tidy is a second nature for some.
20 > --
21 > gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list
26 Dmitri Pogosyan Department of Physics
27 Associate Professor University of Alberta
28 tel 1-780-492-2150 412 Avadh Bhatia Physics Labs
29 fax 1-780-492-0714 Edmonton, AB, T6G 2J1, CANADA
33 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list