From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] "For What It's Worth" (or How do I know my Gentoo source code hasn't been messed with?)
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2014 20:37:04
1 On Tue, 5 Aug 2014 10:50:35 -0700
2 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > I use Chrome. How do I know Chrome isn't scanning my local drives
6 > and sending stuff somewhere? I don't.
9 It wouldn't have to scan your local drives. It would only have
10 to scan the very few directories named "MY DOCUMENTS" and
11 "MY VIDEOS" and "MY EMAIL" which have conveniently been established
12 by the omnipotent and omniscient desktop environment. Within
13 these universal and standardized storage areas can be found
14 everything that snooping software would need to find.
15
16 I am only being partly facetious. This does represent the trend.
17 We have standardized locations that are shared across many different
18 programs. But the programs aren't really different because they
19 are produced by the same desktop conglomerate or because they
20 must employ the toolkits and widgets of said conglomerate.
21
22 The job of the NSA is getting easier. Those terrorist documents
23 will no longer be buried within terabytes of disjoint hard drive
24 space. They will all be nicely tucked into an "ALL DOCUMENTS ARE HERE"
25 standardized directory that nobody had better modify because
26 the entire system will crash.