From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Memory usage; 32 bit vs 64 bit.
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 21:02:59
1 On 01/03/2011 08:34 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > Hi folks,
3 >
4 > I recently built me a new 64 bit system. My old 32 bit system has 2Gbs
5 > and my new system has 4Gbs. I was expecting it to use about the same
6 > amount of memory but noticed it uses a good bit more on the new system
7 > than the old one. With just the normal stuff open, I use about 1.5Gbs of
8 > ram. My old system would use a little over half that. I have the same
9 > settings on both.
10 >
11 > Is this difference because 64 bit programs use more memory, maybe they
12 > are larger than 32 bit programs? Just curious. I notice that Seamonkey
13 > uses more and KDE's plasma-desktop uses more. Those are generally the
14 > biggest users.
15 >
16 > I'm not complaining about the usage, just curious as to why the difference.
17
18 There's usually a very small difference (I'd say about 10%). But
19 nothing like you're describing (which is almost 100% if what you're
20 saying is true.)
21
22 How do you tell how much memory is used? If you're using KDE, System
23 Monitor will give you a good value that's very close to reality. On my
24 system (with a full blown KDE desktop with some plasmoids active and
25 currently Firefox + Thunderbird + Amarok running) it says "0.57 GiB of
26 5.8 GiB", meaning it uses about 570MB of RAM and I have 6GB total.)
27 After a fresh reboot it's about 230MB.
28
29 I'm sure you're not using the same configuration (I don't mean USE flags
30 and such, but rather how you've configured your application and desktop.)