From: Luis Medinas <metalgod@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] best windowmanager
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 14:42:26
1 On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 13:29 +0000, DR GM SEDDON wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > Previously I have always used windowmaker as my desktop, however this
4 > does not start my applications on Gentoo. When I try and start an
5 > app. nothing happens; no error. Also when I double click the desktop
6 > conf icon it turns white and nothing happens but wmaker starts ok. So
7 > rather than worry about fixing this I thought I'd try anew.
8 >
9 try removing your ~/Gnustep directory.
10 Next you can try to use a menu generator to help you find new apps
11 emerge genmenu then run it.
12 If nothing of this help you try to run a random app in a terminal then
13 figure the error.
14
15 > I like desktops that don't have a Ms look and when I minimise it
16 > produces an icon not adding to a taskbar. Can anyone recommend a
17 > good/best one.
18 You can try xfce4( CDE look and feel), fluxbox or another *box wm, ion
19 is a great WM(a wonderful concept imo) or enlightenment. All these wm
20 are available in portage.
21 A good resource to wm is http://www.plig.org/xwinman/ and of course
22 http://forums.gentoo.org.
25 Luis Medinas <metalgod@g.o>
26 http://dev.gentoo.org/~metalgod
27 Gentoo Linux Developer: AMD64,Printing,Media-Optical,Xmms
30 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list