From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: gentoo-announce@g.o
Cc: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>, Gentoo-User <gentoo-user@g.o>, gentoo-core@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-announce] New baselayout-1.7.3-r1 released
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 16:52:57
1 Hi
2
3 This release fix the "dead keys with xdm/gdm/kdm" bug that we
4 have been having. It replaces /etc/init.d/xdm and
5 /etc/inittab, so do NOT replace these with older versions!
6
7 The cause of this bug, is not baselayout-1.7.2, but rather
8 the new order it starts scripts in, enhanced this, as
9 xdm/gdm/kdm had more time to startup than before. The full
10 reason for this bug is (sorry for paste):
11
12 ----------------cut here-------------------
13 Any Display manager (gdm,kdm,xdm) have the following problem:
14 if it is started before any getty, and no vt is specified, it
15 will usually run on vt2. When the getty on vt2 then starts,
16 and the DM is already started, the getty will take control of
17 the keyboard, leaving us with a "dead" keyboard.
18
19 Resolution: add the following line to /etc/inittab
20
21 x:3:respawn:/etc/X11/startDM.sh
22
23 and have /etc/X11/startDM.sh start the DM in -nodaemon mode
24 if a lock is present, else just fall through (with a big
25 enouth delay so that init will not "detect" a respawning
26 process and halt if for some odd time).
27
28 We then use /etc/init.d/xdm to control the presence of this
29 lock, and this should ensure that the getty's is always
30 started *before* the DM.
31 --------------------cut here-------------------------------
32
33 Support for the new sys-apps/kbd package has been added as
34 well.
35
36 Another issue that I still need to adress, is getting proper
37 docs up for the initsystem. I have started, but is not
38 finished yet, and will try to get it out as soon as time
39 permits.
40
41 As usual, check the ChangeLog for details.
44 Greetings,
48 Martin Schlemmer
49 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Developer
50 Cape Town, South Africa