From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-announce@g.o, gentoo-user@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-announce] Sudden rsync change
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 23:35:29
1 Hi All,
2
3 For the past several weeks, huge numbers of rsync downloads have been
4 consuming the vast majority of cvs.gentoo.org bandwidth. Today, our
5 server started croaking and we were forced to turn off cvs.gentoo.org
6 rsync access prematurely. Currently and for the forseeable future,
7 cvs.gentoo.org will only provide rsync access for our rsync mirrors.
8
9 Regular users should access our rsync *mirrors* via DNS round robin by
10 connecting to rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage. If you are using
11 a recent version of Portage, this can be easily changed by adding the
12 following line to your /etc/make.conf:
13
14 SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
15
16 Unfortunately, versions of Portage 1.8.8 and earlier do not support easy
17 rsync reconfiguration. If you are using an older version of Portage. we
18 recommend that you follow these instructions to tweak your emerge
19 command to use the new server and then proceed to upgrade to a new 1.0
20 profile and a new version of Portage:
21
22 http://lists.gentoo.org/pipermail/gentoo-user/2002-May/022860.html
23
24 (the "rsync:" in the post should be "rsync://")
25
26 Of course, I'm very sorry for the sudden inconvenience. I hope you
27 understand that Gentoo Linux's sudden growth has created its share of
28 growing pains :)
29
30 Best Regards,
33 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>