From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o, gentoo-user@g.o, gentoo-announce@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-announce] Important: possible XFS and highmem incompatibility in Gentoo 2.4.19+ kernels
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 22:42:12
Hi All,

It looks like our 2.4.19+ kernels may have an incompatibility between
XFS and highmem.  To get installation working on systems with 1Gb+
memory, you should either *not* use highmem or pass the "mem=512m" boot
option to the boot CD kernel.  This will force highmem to go off.

If you have 1Gb+ memory, please avoid XFS for the time being or try
using an XFS CVS kernel.  If you really want to use XFS with our kernel
and have 1Gb+ memory, leave out highmem support for now.  Linux will see
less than 1Gb of your memory, but it will allow it to run stably until
you can compile your own XFS kernel from CVS.  We will officially
addressing this problem shortly.

Best Regards,

--
Daniel Robbins                                  <drobbins@g.o>