From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-announce@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-announce] Gentoo Linux 1.1a released!
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 16:16:38
Hi All,

Gentoo Linux 1.1a has been released!  If you're setting up a new Gentoo
Linux system, be sure to use the new 1.1a ISOs and .tbz2s, available
from:

http://www.ibiblio.org/gentoo/releases/build/1.1a/

Of course, existing Gentoo Linux users can upgrade to the most recent
version of Gentoo Linux in-place without reinstalling.  To upgrade a
Gentoo Linux 1.0 system to 1.1a, simply type:

# emerge rsync
# emerge sys-apps/portage
# emerge --update world
(then update your config files in /etc)

If you have a Gentoo Linux 1.0_rc6 or earlier system, please see the
following URL for upgrade instructions.  These are 1.0_rc6 to 1.0
upgrade instructions, but will also work for 1.0_rc6 to 1.1 upgrades:

http://lists.gentoo.org/pipermail/gentoo-announce/2002-April/000134.html

Changes since Gentoo Linux 1.0:

  Important pam/shadow/util-linux security fixes

  Support for pppoe installs from our install CDs

  Various important improvements to Portage:
   * Safe glibc upgrades should be working foreveryone
   * The merge process (copying to live fs) is now an order of magnitude
     faster than it was with 1.0-era Portage

  New design for our nvidia-glx, nvidia-driver and xfree ebuilds:
   * can now switch between OpenGL/MESA implementations by using the
     "opengl-config" command.

  As usual, very many upgrades and improvements to a bunch of packages.

Enjoy!

Best Regards,

--
Daniel Robbins                                  <drobbins@g.o>