From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-announce@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o, gentoo-user@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-announce] Alpha KDE3 pre ebuilds released
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 13:56:43
Hi everyone,

I've released an initial (alpha-stage) set of ebuilds for kde3 (currently
beta1, will switch to cvs snapshots tomorrow).

Note: this is outside portage (cvs/rsync), is officially unstable and
completely unsupported and is for testing only. Also note that you will be
testing KDE3 as well as the ebuilds, and will ceratainly encounter bugs (and
report them, and help fix them) in both.

It won't be strictly stable until kde3-final is out.

You have been warned!

If you still want to try this out, go to
http://www.gentoo.org/~danarmak/kde3-pre.html. Be sure to read all notes
carefully before using.

One note that's worth repeating here: in a week or two at the latest we'll
finally have support for multilpe KDEDIRs in all kinds of custom combinations
which will be really neat. Right now these ebuilds install into /usr, same as
the stable 2.2.2 ebuilds in portage. In other words, they're uncompatible and
you'll have to remerge all the kde 2.2.2 packages to have a stable
environment again. So even if you want to help test this stuff, you might
consider waiting for the multiple KDEDIRs support to crystallize (right now
it's somewhat uncertain what shape it'll take).

What's already working: all kde-base packages except for kdeaddons,
kdeartwork, kdepim and kdebindings.
The kde[libs] 2/3 combination is also doing great. I used kdebase-3.0_beta1
with all the other kde-base packages from 2.2.2 for a day and it worked great
together.

--
Dan Armak
Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team