From: "David P. Novakovic" <davidnovakovic@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-au@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-au] Buying an ultraportable
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 11:38:54
1 macbooks start at 1500.. :) usb hub and external monitor means you
2 get a good looking laptop and convenience.
3
4 David
5
6 On 2/16/08, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <ivan.miljenovic@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > Just so you know, mark_alec said it's OK for me to spam the list with
8 > this :p
9 >
10 > After dragging my 4yo 15" laptop around with me during linux.conf.au
11 > (and the next week and a half whilst I visited rellies in Victoria),
12 > I'm wanting to buy a new (ultraportable) laptop, so around the 12"
13 > range. As much as I hate to admit this, it looks like the best deal I
14 > can find is the Dell Vostro 1200 (see attachment for how I've specced
15 > it out). The actual laptop is around $1550, with another $200 there to
16 > buy an external 19" monitor to sit at home. I'll also get at least 5%
17 > off the price with the RACQ discount.
18 >
19 > So, my questions are these: do people think this is a good laptop? Is
20 > it value for money? Can you think of a better one in the same
21 > size/pricepoint (I was originally looking at the HP Compaq Presario
22 > B1246TU, which is $1.8k RRP with only 2 GB of RAM)? Would I have any
23 > problems under Gentoo on it (I plan on ditching Vista)?
24 >
25 > Also, with the monitor: I plan on buying a docking station at home
26 > (btw, anyone know of a good one that would work under Gentoo?) and keep
27 > my external keyboard, tablet and an LCD monitor plugged in to it. This
28 > Dell monitor is about $200 extra for a 19" 1440x900. Is this a good
29 > deal? Or should I pay an extra $100 on top of that to get a 20"
30 > 168x1050 + free Sannheiser headset, or forget Dell and get an extra
31 > monitor from elsewhere? (Note that from a quick google, etc. Dell
32 > monitors seem to be quite good for their price).
33 >
34 > In case you're interested, here are some photos someone posted of this
35 > lappy:
36 > http://img245.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vostro1200frontnn8.jpg
37 > http://img256.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vostro1200keyboardbj3.jpg
38 >
39 > It's not the most attractive laptop, but looks OK. Having the Fn key
40 > on the left of the Ctrl key could take a bit getting used to,
41 > though :s If you go to the laptop's info page, it's also got a "tour":
42 > http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/vostronb_1200?c=au&l=en&s=bsd&cs=aubsd1
43 >
44 > Anyway, to get some of the deals on it (like the free mouse + carry
45 > bag), I need to order by Monday, and by Thursday for the free RAM
46 > upgrade, so please tell me what you think!
47 >
48 > --
49 > Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
50 > Ivan.Miljenovic@×××××.com
51 > IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com
55 Sent from Gmail for mobile | mobile.google.com
56 --
57 gentoo-au@l.g.o mailing list