From: Patrice Clement <patrice@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-bsd@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-bsd] [SoC 2009] Gentoo/NetBSD ? Of course it runs !
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 19:04:54
1 Heya people,
2
3 This is the final GSoC week and we are near from the end: I'll soon release my
4 work. Yesterday, I've tried to boot a NetBSD machine under QEMU, where my stage
5 has been extracted and guess what? It boots, I can login into, and even emerge ebuilds!
6
7 I've planned to release 3 things to the community:
8 - my ebuilds: they need to be reworked and to be heavily tested. The only
9 feedbacks I get has been from Davide and Luca. Don't hesitate to make
10 suggestions and comments on my work.
11 - a stage: currently, the stage contains everything you'll need to run the
12 system. Fetch NetBSD 5.0, perform a minimal install and untar the stage on /,
13 as a normal Gentoo/Linux install.
14 - a QEMU image: to quickly test my work, without losing time of an
15 installation, you can try this image. Simply boot the image and enjoy.
16
17 I'm 5% from the end. What are the 5% left ?
18 A very weird behavior has appeared: on my NetBSD box, when I emerge an ebuild
19 in the ROOT, as example: nano, ebuild is emerged, chrooting inside the ROOT and
20 running the binary works fine. No problem with that. So where is the error ?
21 When I emerge the same ebuild inside the ROOT, it works but each time you
22 execute this binary, it produces a gmon.out file. Even without using emerge
23 (downloading sources, ./configure & make), it also produces a gmon.out after
24 beeing executed. I don't think the problem comes from emerge. But from where ?
25 GCC comes from NetBSD sources, as same as binutils.
26 I can read in GCC man page that gmon.out is produced when -pg flag is used.
27 Here are my CFLAGS & CXXFLAGS variables from /etc/make.conf, in my ROOT directory:
28 CFLAGS="-march=i386 -pipe -O2"
29 CXXFLAGS=${CFLAGS}
30 I use the same outside the ROOT (on my NetBSD devel box). I've never used this
31 -pg flag. Ever !
32
33 Here's an example of this weird behavior:
34
35 (I emerge nano as an example, but you can emerge whatever you want, it's the
36 same)
37
38 # emerge -v nano
39 Calculating dependencies... done!
40
41 [ebuild R ] app-editors/nano-2.1.9 to /gentoo-nbsd/ USE="-debug -justify-minimal -ncurses -nls -slang -spell -unicode" 0 kB
42 Total: 1 package (1 upgrade), Size of downloads: 0 kB
43
44 >>> Verifying ebuild manifests
45
46 >>> Emerging (1 of 1) app-editors/nano-2.1.9 for /gentoo-nbsd/
47 [...]
48 >>> Installing (1 of 1) app-editors/nano-2.1.9 to /gentoo-nbsd/
49 * More helpful info about nano, visit the GDP page:
50 * http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/nano-basics-guide.xml
51 >>> Auto-cleaning packages...
52
53 >>> Using system located in ROOT tree /gentoo-nbsd/
54 * GNU info directory index is up-to-date.
55
56 (ok, we're good)
57 # chroot /gentoo-nbsd /bin/bash
58 (we're now inside the ROOT)
59 soc-netbsd ~ # mkdir output
60 soc-netbsd ~ # cd output/
61 soc-netbsd output # ls .
62 soc-netbsd output # nano
63 (nano opens itself, I close it)
64 soc-netbsd output # ls .
65 soc-netbsd output # emerge -v nano
66 Calculating dependencies... done!
67
68 [ebuild R ] app-editors/nano-2.1.9 USE="-debug -justify -minimal -ncurses -nls -slang -spell -unicode" 0 kB
69 Total: 1 package (1 upgrade), Size of downloads: 0 kB
70
71 >>> Verifying ebuild manifests
72
73 >>> Emerging (1 of 1) app-editors/nano-2.1.9
74 [...]
75 >>> Original instance of package unmerged safely.
76 * More helpful info about nano, visit the GDP page:
77 * http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/nano-basics-guide.xml
78 >>> Auto-cleaning packages...
79
80 * GNU info directory index is up-to-date.
81
82 soc-netbsd output # ls .
83 soc-netbsd output # nano
84 (open/close)
85 soc-netbsd output # ls .
86 gmon.out
87
88 I've certainly missed something but I still don't get it. If someone have any
89 clues about this and could give me a hand, that could be nice.
90
91 Thanks !
92
93 Cheers,