From: Joe Peterson <joe@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-bsd@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-bsd] TCP (FTP) problem - some sites - while emerging
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 19:14:11
1 I am in the process of trying out Gentoo/FreeBSD - I love the idea of
2 being able to use the very cool portage system on BSD!
3
4 Anyway, I have tried the install twice, the second time doing the
5 "emerge -e system" before the kernel build, but I am getting stuck at
6 the same issue: I get TCP timeouts to some sites. This is such a
7 bummer, and I am asking if anyone knows a solutuon. I have seen some
8 other postings to this list that may be the same issue (packet mangling?).
9
10 Anyway, as an example, I can never FTP to www.astron.com (where the
11 "file" package, among other things, lives). Even if I use wget or lynx
12 to do an FTP connection, it simply hangs. I *can* get to this site
13 using Windows, Linux, and regular FreeBSD (non-Gentoo) from the same
14 machine and on the same network, so it has to be something to do with
15 Gentoo/FreeBSD in particular.
16
17 If I can find a way past this problem, I have high hopes of setting up a
18 working desktop, and I'd be glad to contribute in whatever way I can to
19 the effort. Is the project active right now? I have not seen much
20 activity as of late. I do wish the best for this project, since I think
21 it is valuable!
22
23 Thanks! Joe
24 --