From: Joe Peterson <lavajoe@g.o>
To: romanempire@×××××.com
Cc: gentoo-bsd@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-bsd] where can i find more information about development?
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 18:59:40
1 Roman Garnett wrote:
2 > Sorry to write to this clearly inactive list, but does anyone know
3 > where I can learn more about the development status of Gentoo/FreeBSD?
4 > I'd really like to use Gentoo + FreeBSD 7. I discovered that drizzt
5 > made an overlay to work with an older version of FreeBSD 7. Has any
6 > more work been done in this direction?
7 > Confession: I really want ZFS.
8
9 Ah, another ZFS fan! :)
10
11 First, yep, I agree that going to IRC (freenode, channel #gentoo-bsd) is the
12 best way. I found the same thing when I got involved in the project: this
13 list looked fairly dead, but the IRC channel was active.
14
15 I got involved in Gentoo/FreeBSD for the same reason (liking Gentoo's way of
16 doing things, but wanting to play with BSD). In fact, I became a Gentoo
17 developer, intially for that project. Since then, I ran into some
18 showstoppers on BSD, causing me to need to wipe out my g/fbsd installations
19 and load Gentoo Linux. As a result, I became almost completely inactive on
20 the g/fbsd project, and I've moved my Gentoo development focus elsewhere for
21 now :(.
22
23 After some discussions at work about silent corruption of large data (we are
24 thinking of installing petabytes of storage), I became interested in the
25 problem, and I went back and tried ZFS on fbsd 7.0. Pretty cool, but I ran
26 into some ATA DMA issues that are still mysteries in the FreeBSD world, it
27 seems (at least last I heard) as well as some scheduler/mouse jerkiness issues
28 that caused me, again, to have to abandon FreeBSD for the time being.
29
30 Now I am actively using "btrfs" - another up and coming filesystem that does
31 checksumming for data integrity.
32
33 Anyway, sorry for the long story - if you want to read more on my thoughts on
34 ZFS and btrfs, see my blog:
35
36 http://planet.gentoo.org/developers/lavajoe/
37